In 1881 maltster Robert Free started a business on site together with consulting chemists Richard Southby and Thomas Amey making and selling malt extract. Originally called The Condensed Wort and Brewer’s Meal Company, the business was renamed The English Diastatic Malt Extract Company in 1884, a mouthful that was eventually shortened to EDME Ltd in 1897.
The products produced by the business soon became an essential ingredient of prize-winning entries at bakers’ exhibitions up and down the country.
Over the past 130 years EDME’s 3.5-acre Mistley site has undergone many transformations as the world around it has changed, including the introduction of mechanisation in 1950, a major programme of rebuilding and modernisation during the early 1990s, and £1.5 million worth of works in the past few years, including the creation of a test centre and research and development hub to improve new product development and fault diagnosis, and to allow for joint workshop projects with customers.
Looking to the future we continue to invest in modernisation and innovation in all areas of the business, including improvements to our Mistley home. Recent investments have included an updated research and development technology centre with new personnel, and investment in liquid packaging production. Many other improvements are planned for the next 18 months.
During the enormous change EDME has seen over the past 13 decades, our home at Mistley has been a constant part of the fabric of the business, and we hope to continue to operate on the site for many more years to come.